Thursday, January 4, 2007

Rain...


I cursed the skies as I ran through the rain. Why did it have to rain just as I got off work? All I had was my huge bag to shield my head as I ran towards the final row of shops where my bus stop is. Just as I managed to get under the shelter, someone ran into me and knocked me over.

“Aisshiii!!” I cursed as I looked at the contents of my bag strewed all over the pavement, getting drenched by the rain. Worst of all, my cell phone now sat in a puddle of water. “Andoe!!” I yelled as I picked it up. Water leaked out of it as I held it up. I flipped it open and found that the screen had blacked out.

“Choesong hamnida,” someone said, taking my attention away from my phone for a moment. I looked up and this cute guy stands before me. Cute was an understatement, he was hot. But hot or not, he’d killed my phone and he’d better be paying.

“Yah!” I said as I held out my phone at him. “Look what you’ve done!” he took the phone out of my hand and inspected it.

“Mian. I was so intent on getting out of the rain that I did not see you,” he said. “I think you’d better get up. You’re getting wet,” he said as he held out his free hand to me.

I glared at him as I took his hand and he pulled me onto my feet. I bent down to quickly scoop up the remaining stuff I’d dropped and we walked into the shelter.

“So… are you going to pay for my phone?” I asked.

“I have a friend who owns a phone shop. I think he’ll be able to fix it for you,” he said. “I’ll pay for the costs, of course,” he quickly added.

I must’ve looked pretty scary for him to seem so nervous around me. Either that or he’s a really shy guy.

“Komawo,” I said. I wasn’t about to be formal and polite to someone who’d knocked me over like a bean bag.

“You’re all wet. If you don’t mind, you can come over to my place. I live just above these shops.”

Go to his place? Is this guy for real? Like I’m gonna just go to some weird guy’s place when I hardly knew him. For all I knew, he might be a…

“Achooo!” I sneezed.

“Yea… You’d better come with me,” he said and he grabbed my hand before I could react.

“Ajoshi,” I said frantically. “Let go. I’m not going anywhere with you.”

“You want your phone fixed?” he turned back to ask me as he continued walking.

“Erm… yea. But I don't want to go home with you,” I said.

“We’ll go to my friend’s place once the rain stops. You should get yourself dry before you get sick,” he said.

We finally came to a stop in front of a stair and he started to climb it as he continued to pull me along. Thankfully, his place was on the 2nd floor. I stood there nervously as he fished his pockets for his keys. He looked even better in the dim light of the corridor. His hair curled up at its ends, and I could see his toned body under his wet shirt. I shook my head, trying to clear the impure thoughts that were about to flood my brain. Then, I heard him laugh.

“Waeguraeseyo?” I asked as I looked at him.

“What you just did… I don’t know why you did it, but you remind me of a puppy,” he laughed.

“Mwo?” I said as I glared at him.

“But you’re a really cute puppy,” he added as he pushed open the door.

“Ya! I’m not a puppy!” I said as I followed him in. I was surprised at how clean his house was as I stood at the doorway and took off my shoes.

“I’ll go get you some towels,” he said as he tossed his keys on the coffee table and walked into one of the 3 rooms. I closed the door and walked around slowly. It was a small apartment; from the living room, you could look right into the little kitchen. In the middle of the room, there was a round dining table with 4 chairs and a set of worn leather sofas were placed in front of a flat screen television. He seems quite well-to-do. I wonder what he does.

“Here,” he said as he tossed me a towel. He’d changed into dry clothes and was toweling his hair dry with the towel around his neck. What he wore now, would’ve probably cause nosebleed for most girls. He wore a tight-fitting sleeveless shirt which showed off his toned arms and a pair of sweat pants which sort of clung to his butt. He had a nice butt.

I started to rub my hair and wiped of the drops of water from my arms and face. Halfway through my task, he handed me a set of clothes.

“Here,” he said. “I hope they fit,” he smiled. He’d handed me a baggy shirt and a pair of sweat pants. I looked at them for a moment, contemplating if I should change. “Go on,” he said, still smiling. “You’re gonna get sick in those wet clothes.” I sighed and dropped my bag on the floor.

“Where can I change?” I asked him.

“Here,” he said as he walked to one of the doors and pushed it open to reveal a bathroom.

“Thanks,” I said as I went it. I changed out of my clothes and turned to look into the mirror when I was done. I was horrified with how I looked. I’d dried my hair a little too vigorously and it now resembled a rat’s nest. He must have had a hard time containing his laughter when he saw me just now. I looked around the bathroom and found a single-toothed comb lying on the counter. I quickly ran the comb through my hair and straightened it out as best as I could. Thankfully, my hair was never a big problem to manage. All I needed was a comb and some water.

As I emerged from the bathroom, the guy walked past and placed two mugs of hot drinks on the coffee table.

“Tea,” he said. “Let me put these in the dryer for you,” he said as he took my clothes out of my hands before I could react.

“Thanks,” I said as I sat down in an arm chair. I picked up one of the mugs and brought it to my lips. I close my eyes as I inhaled the steam rising from it. It’s always nice to have something warm to drink after getting caught in the rain.

“Do I scare you?” he asked suddenly, as he walked back into the room to sit down on the sofa opposite me.

“Hmm?” I said as I opened my eyes to look at him.

“Do I look like a psycho to you?” he repeated.

“Psycho? No. What makes you say that?” I asked as I cautiously took a sip of the hot tea.

“You seem to be really wary of me,” he explained.

“Erm… that’s because I don’t even know your name.”

“Mian, my name’s Min Woo. Lee Min Woo,” he smiled. “What’s yours?”

“Sierra,” I said.

“Sierra… no last name?” he asked.

“Yep, Sierra with no last name,” I said. I didn’t feel like he needed to know. I probably won’t see him again.

“You’re not local, are you?” he asked me as he sipped his tea.

“Nope,” I replied.

“Where are you from then?”

“Malaysia.”

“Cool. I’ve yet to meet a Malaysian. But you sound very Korean for a Malaysian.”

“Komawo. I’ve been living here for 2 years now. I think that my Korean should sound less like a foreigner by now.”

“True,” he said. “But I bet you’re a fast learner,” he added and I smiled at his compliment.

We sat there in silence, for the next few minutes, as we drank our tea. I looked out the window and saw no sign that the rain would be receding anytime soon.

“Min Woo-shi, I think I’d better go,” I said as I got up.

“Sierra-shi, your clothes are still in the dryer,” he reminded me.

“Oh,” I exclaimed softly and sat down again.

“Are you in a hurry?” he asked.

“Erm… not really.”

“It’s me isn’t it?” he said.

“Nae?” I looked at him, puzzled.

“I’m too irresistible, aren’t I?” he winked.

“Huh?” I exclaimed and then I laughed. “Don’t flatter yourself.”

He smiled broadly at me and I had to admit, it got to me. He was inching his way into my heart.

“What are you thinking about?” Min Woo reached over to take my hand. We were sitting in a cafe and it was raining outside, just like it had been when we first met.

“Us,” I smiled.

“The rain always reminded me of the day we first met,” he said, echoing my thoughts exactly.

“Hmm…” I smiled and he brought his hand up to touch my cheek lightly.

Years from now, if we ever have a child together, I’ll be sure to name him or her, Rain.

“I’ll never forget how you looked on that day,” he smiled.

“Like a wet puppy?” I offered.

“Ani… like a mermaid from the sea,” he said and he lifted my hand to his lips and kissed it.

4 comments:

Mz said...

HEART MELTING~

ooh, stories of love always fills one with fantasies and endless smiles on his/her face.

Good one.. ;)

DanielleDajerk said...

Ya... from begining till before u mention Min Woo... I thought the story was about... Ah Bi...
Tsk...

시에라 (Sierra) said...

Didn't you see the humongous pic of Min Woo? :P Blind...

Bubbles said...

short and sweet... but enough to melt hearts